Thursday, September 27, 2012

Memories of Fall

The end of summer is usually a bit sad for me because I love the hot summer days. I hate to admit it, but I kind of like fall, too, but I don't like what comes after it. I think each change of season has it own special magic. Especially, this year, I was over the extreme heat that we had to endure and was ready for something a little cooler.

My favorite thing about fall is the changing of the leaves. I grew up in the small town of Ortonville in Michigan. My favorite thing about fall is walking down Hummer Lake Road and just admiring the awning of leaves that formed an archway over the dirt road. Ever since I moved away from home twenty years ago, I think about that scene and how I wish I had photographed it. I can still smell the leaves and see the beautiful red, gold and orange leaves. Every year, I think about going up there just to take that picture, but haven't made it at the right time.

As I think about the leaves, I can smell the bonfires in my dad's backyard on a chilly fall evening and I'd love to be cuddled up in my favorite hoodie, watching the flames and listening to the wood crackle.  I could watch the fire for hours and maybe even enjoy a little hot cider as my hands got colder. That sweet cider would sure taste good right now.

Then I remember the hayrides. I had a friend who's birthday was in October and I remember her dad hooking up the trailer to the tractor and all of us riding around those dirt roads, occasionally one of us would hop off to stuff some of that hay into a mailbox, just a little surprise for the neighbors the next morning to let them know that we'd been there.

I miss the high school football games and watching my best friend Christy cheering and hanging out with friends afterwards or maybe going to a school dance. As I got older, it was cruising in my old LeBaron down M-15. So many memories of those time, but as all the leaves fell and made way for the cold winds of winter, those found memories came to an end. That's okay though, there's chances for new memories every year.

1 comment:

  1. I almost drove through there Sunday with my youngest son, we went to Cabellas in dundee instead. If I do get out there I'll post some pics. I sure do miss the good ol days.

    ReplyDelete